Andrographis Paniculata Extract - Side Effects, Benefits, Common Colds
Andrographolides (the primary medicinal component of Andrographis) enhances the immune system by increasing white blood cell count. In addition, it releases interferon and increases activity of the lymph system. Interferon is a protein made by cells in response to viruses which, may in turn, make it an antiviral agent (14,15).
Andrographolides have a short half-life -- approximately two hours. "Half-life" refers to how long the compound is in the body before it becomes half strength of what it was before it entered the body. It is then broken down into other forms (metabolites) and excreted by urine, feces, respiration, and sweat. Short half-life compounds have to be consumed often since they leave the body rather quickly. Some studies (16) show andrographolide is removed from the body within eight hours. As a result, it is recommended that you consume andrographis every 5-6 hours for whatever health issue is being addressed.
We are not aware if there are any negative side effects associated with drug interactions and andrographis. None have been reported as we know, however, keep in mind that prescription drug interactions with the human body in general, are commonplace.
Note: Kan-Jang is another name for Andrographis paniculata.
(2) Yin, J., and L. Guo. 1993. Contemporary traditional Chinese medicine. Beijing: Xie Yuan.
(3) Zoha, M.S., A.H. Hussain, and S.A. Choudhury. 1989. Antifertility side effects of Andrographis paniculata in mice. Bangladesh Med. Res. Council Bull. 15:34-37.
(4) Deng, W.L. 1978. Preliminary studies on the pharmacology of the Andrographis product dihydroandrographolide sodium succinate. Newsletters of Chinese Herbal Med. 8:26-28.
(5) Madav. H.C., T. Tripathi, and S.K. Mishra. 1995. Analgesic, antipyretic, and antiulcerogenic positive side effects of andrographolide. Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 57 :121-25.
(6) Vedavathy, S. and K.N. Rao. 1991. Antipyretic activity of six indigenous medicinal plants of Tirumala Hills, Andhra Pradesh, India. Ethnopharmacology 33:193-96.
(7) Huang, L.Y. 1987. The effects of andrographolides on experimental blood deficiency of cardiac muscle. Chinese Herbal Med. 18(7): 26-28.
(8) Wang, D., and H. Zhao. 1993. Experimental studies on atherosclerotic arterial stenosis and restenosis after angioplasty with Andrographis paniculata Nees and fish oil. J. of Tongji Medical University 13(4):193-98.
(9) Zhao, H., and W. Fang. 1990. Protective positive side effects of Andrographis paniculata Nees on post-infarction myocardium in experimental dogs. J. of Tongji Medical University 10(4):212-17.
(10) Kapil, A., I.B. Koul, S.K. Banerjee, and B.D. Gupta. 1993. Antihepatotoxic effects of major diterpenoid constituents of Andrographis paniculata. Biochemical Pharmacology 46(1):182-85.
(11) Shukla, B., P.K.S. Visen, G.K. Patnaik, and B.N. Dhawan. 1992. Choleretic effect of andrographolide in rats and guinea pigs. Planta Med. 58:146-48.
(12) Caceres D.D., J.L. Hancke, R.A. Burgos, and G.K. Wikman. 1997. Common colds with Andrographis paniculata dried extract: A pilot double-blind trial. Phytomedicine. 4(2): 101-4.
(13) Holt, Stephen M.D., Linda Comac, Miracle Herbs: How Herbs Combine with Modern Medicine to Treat Cancer, Heart Disease, AIDS, and More, Caro Publishing Group, 1998.
(14) Signal Transduction Companies (editorial). Genetic Engineering News 16(1), 1 January 1996.
(15) Tang, W., and G. Eisenbrandt. 1992. Chinese drugs of plant origin: Chemistry, pharmacology, and use in traditional and modern medicine. New York: Springer-Verlag.
(16) Jean Barilla, M.S., 1999. Andrographis paniculata: Can herbs fight common ailments, cancer, and chronic viral infections? A Keats Good Health Guide, p. 17-20.
Enjoy the benefits of our flat rate shipping and handling! You receive the same great service for the same shipping price whether you order one item or one hundred!
USA only - US Post Office 5-9 business days.
Save 8.25% on all purchases - Texans and everyone!
It's all tax free! You will be able to review all charges before they are charged to you.
At checkout (after you click the Add button on any of the order pages), the billing address you enter must match the address where you receive your credit card (security effects). The shipping address you enter does not have to match.
All orders placed by Noon Central Standard Time (CST) are shipped the same day. PO Boxes Okay.
Payment by credit card is immediate. Payment by check adds a few more business days -- as soon as funds clear.
We do not sell the information you give us to anyone.
Nutrition Home Page
The information and statements made throughout this web site have not been endorsed/evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration or any other governmental authority, unless otherwise specifically noted. We do not offer products or services for the benefits or purpose of diagnosis, prescription for, treatment of, or claims to prevent, mitigate or cure any viral or disease condition or be free from side effects. Please, seek the advice of a competent medical professional about anything you read on our site.RSS Feed