6. Ritsner MS, Gibel A, Ratner Y, Tsinovoy G, Strous RD. Improvement of sustained attention and visual and movement skills, but not clinical symptoms, after dehydroepiandrosterone augmentation in schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006 Oct;26(5):495-9.
7. Schmidt PJ, Daly RC, Bloch M, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone monotherapy in midlife-onset major and minor depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005 Feb;62(2):154-62.
8. Fukai S, Akishita M, Yamada S, et al. Association of plasma sex hormone levels with functional decline in elderly men and women. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2009 Sep;9(3):282-9.
9. Valenti G, Ferrucci L, Lauretani F, et al. Dehydroepiandosterone and cognitive function in the elderly: The InCHIANTI Study. J Endocrinol Invest. 2009 Oct;32(9):766-72.
10. Davis SR, Shah SM, McKenzie DP, Kulkarni J, Davison SL, Bell RJ. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels are associated with more favorable cognitive function in women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Mar;93(3):801-8.
11. Ritsner MS, Strous RD. Neurocognitive deficits in schizophrenia are associated with alterations in blood levels of neurosteroids: A multiple regression analysis of findings from a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial with DHEA. J Psychiatr Res. 2010 Jan;44(2):75-80.
12. Bazin MA, El Kihel L, Boulouard M, Bout V, Rault S. The effects of DHEA, 3beta-hydroxy-5alpha-androstane-6,17-dione, and 7-amino-DHEA analogues on short term and long term memory in the mouse. Steroids. 2009 Nov;74(12):931-7.
13. Chen C, Lang S, Zuo P, Yang N, Wang X. Treatment with dehydroepiandrosterone increases peripheral benzodiazepine receptors of mitochondria from cerebral cortex in D-galactose-induced aged rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008 Dec;103(6):493-501.
14. Taha A, Mishra M, Baquer NZ, Sharma D. Na+ K(+)-ATPase activity in response to exogenous dehydroepiandrosterone administration in aging rat brain. Indian J Exp Biol. 2008 Dec;46(12):852-4.
15. de la Torre JC. Pathophysiology of neuronal energy crisis in Alzheimers disease. Neurodegener Dis. 2008;5(3-4):126-32.
16. Camus V. Evaluation of the depressive symptomatology in the elderly. Psychol Neuropsychiatr Vieil. 2004 Sep;2 Suppl 1:S13-17.
17. Djernes JK. Prevalence and predictors of depression in populations of elderly: a review. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2006 May;113(5):372-87.
18. Akinola M, Mendes WB. The dark side of creativity: biological vulnerability and negative emotions lead to greater artistic creativity. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2008 Dec;34(12):1677-86.
19. Wang HT, Chen SM, Lee SD, et al. The role of DHEA-S in the mood adjustment against negative competition outcome in golfers. J Sports Sci. 2009 Feb 1;27(3):291-7.
20. Strous RD, Maayan R, Lapidus R, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone augmentation in the management of negative, depressive, and anxiety symptoms in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003 Feb;60(2):133-41.
21. Herbert J. Neurosteroids, brain damage, and mental illness. Exp Gerontol. 1998 Nov-Dec;33(7-8):713-27.
22. Bloch M, Schmidt PJ, Danaceau MA, Adams LF, Rubinow DR. Dehydroepiandrosterone treatment of midlife dysthymia. Biol Psychiatry. 1999 Jun 15;45(12):1533-41.
23. Strous RD, Maayan R, Kotler M, Weizman A. Hormonal profile effects following dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) administration to schizophrenic patients. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2005 Nov-Dec;28(6):265-9.
24. Rabkin JG, McElhiney MC, Rabkin R, McGrath PJ, Ferrando SJ. Placebo-controlled trial of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for treatment of nonmajor depression in patients with HIV/AIDS. Am J Psychiatry. 2006 Jan;163(1):59-66.
25. Maninger N, Wolkowitz OM, Reus VI, Epel ES, Mellon SH. Neurobiological and neuropsychiatric effects of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and DHEA sulfate (DHEAS). Front Neuroendocrinol. 2009 Jan;30(1):65-91.
26. Mo Q, Lu S, Garippa C, Brownstein MJ, Simon NG. Genome-wide analysis of DHEA- and DHT-induced gene expression in mouse hypothalamus and hippocampus. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2009 Apr;114(3-5):135-43.
27. Pinnock SB, Lazic SE, Wong HT, Wong IH, Herbert J. Synergistic effects of dehydroepiandrosterone and fluoxetine on proliferation of progenitor cells in the dentate gyrus of the adult male rat. Neuroscience. 2009 Feb 18;158(4):1644-51.
28. Baulieu EE, Thomas G, Legrain S, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), DHEA sulfate, and aging: contribution of the DHEAge Study to a sociobiomedical issue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Apr 11;97(8):4279-84.
29. Jankowski CM, Gozansky WS, Kittelson JM, Van Pelt RE, Schwartz RS, Kohrt WM. Increases in bone mineral density in response to oral dehydroepiandrosterone replacement in older adults appear to be mediated by serum estrogens. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Dec;93(12):4767-73.
30. von Muhlen D, Laughlin GA, Kritz-Silverstein D, Bergstrom J, Bettencourt R. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation on bone mineral density, bone markers, and body composition in older adults: the DAWN trial. Osteoporos Int. 2008 May;19(5):699-707.
31. Weiss EP, Shah K, Fontana L, Lambert CP, Holloszy JO, Villareal DT. Dehydroepiandrosterone replacement therapy in older adults: 1- and 2-y effects on bone. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1459-67.
32. Buford TW, Willoughby DS. Impact of DHEA(S) and cortisol on immune function in aging: a brief review. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Jun;33(3):429-33.
33. Kim SK, Shin MS, Jung BK, et al. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone on lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-6 production in DH82 cultured canine macrophage cells. J Reprod Immunol. 2006 Jun;70(1-2):71-81.
34. Nawata H, Yanase T, Goto K, Okabe T, Ashida K. Mechanism of action of anti-aging DHEA-S and the replacement of DHEA-S. Mech Ageing Dev. 2002 Apr 30;123(8):1101-6.
35. Frantz MC, Prix NJ, Wichmann MW, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone restores depressed peripheral blood mononuclear cell function following major abdominal surgery via the estrogen receptors. Crit Care Med. 2005 Aug;33(8):1779-86.
36. Marcu AC, Paccione KE, Barbee RW, et al. Androstenetriol immunomodulation improves survival in a severe trauma hemorrhage shock model. J Trauma. 2007 Sep;63(3):662-9.
37. Oberbeck R, Deckert H, Bangen J, Kobbe P, Schmitz D. Dehydroepiandrosterone: a modulator of cellular immunity and heat shock protein 70 production during polymicrobial sepsis. Intensive Care Med. 2007 Dec;33(12):2207-13.
38. Burdick NC, Dominguez JA, Welsh TH, Jr., Laurenz JC. Oral administration of dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate (DHEAS) increases in vitro lymphocyte function and improves in vivo response of pigs to immunization against keyhole limpet hemocyanin (KLH) and ovalbumin. Int Immunopharmacol. 2009 Jul 29.
39. Mills SJ, Ashworth JJ, Gilliver SC, Hardman MJ, Ashcroft GS. The sex steroid precursor DHEA accelerates cutaneous wound healing via the estrogen receptors. J Invest Dermatol. 2005 Nov;125(5):1053-62.
40. Romanutti C, Bruttomesso AC, Castilla V, Bisceglia JA, Galagovsky LR, Wachsman MB. In vitro antiviral activity of dehydroepiandrosterone and its synthetic derivatives against vesicular stomatitis virus. Vet J. 2009 Nov;182(2):327-35.
41. Acosta EG, Bruttomesso AC, Bisceglia JA, Wachsman MB, Galagovsky LR, Castilla V. Dehydroepiandrosterone, epiandrosterone and synthetic derivatives inhibit Junin virus replication in vitro. Virus Res. 2008 Aug;135(2):203-12.
42. Santos CD, Toldo MP, Santello FH, Filipin Mdel V, Brazo V, do Prado Jnior JC. Dehydroepiandrosterone increases resistance to experimental infection by Trypanosoma cruzi. Vet Parasitol. 2008 May 31;153(3-4):238-43.
43. Brazo V, Santello FH, Caetano LC, Del Vecchio Filipin M, Paula Alonso Toldo M, do Prado JC, Jr. Immunomodulatory effects of zinc and DHEA on the Th-1 immune response in rats infected with Trypanosoma cruzi. Immunobiology. 2009 Jul 4.
44. Caetano LC, Santello FH, Del Vecchio Filipin M, et al. Trypanosoma cruzi: dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and immune response during the chronic phase of the experimental Chagas disease. Vet Parasitol. 2009 Jul 7;163(1-2):27-32.
45. Harding G, Mak YT, Evans B, Cheung J, MacDonald D, Hampson G. The effects of dexamethasone and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) on cytokines and receptor expression in a human osteoblastic cell line: potential steroid-sparing role for DHEA. Cytokine. 2006 Oct;36(1-2):57-68.
46. Choi IS, Cui Y, Koh YA, Lee HC, Cho YB, Won YH. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone on Th2 cytokine production in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from asthmatics. Korean J Intern Med. 2008 Dec;23(4):176-81.
47. Hansen PA, Han DH, Nolte LA, Chen M, Holloszy JO. DHEA protects against visceral obesity and muscle insulin resistance in rats fed a high-fat diet. Am J Physiol. 1997 Nov;273(5 Pt 2):R1704-1708.
48. Richards RJ, Porter JR, Svec F. Long-term oral administration of dehydroepiandrosterone has different effects on energy intake of young lean and obese male Zucker rats when compared to controls of similar metabolic body size. Diabetes Obes Metab. 1999 Jul;1(4):233-9.
49. Ponholzer A, Madersbacher S, Rauchenwald M, Jungwirth S, Fischer P, Tragl KH. Vascular risk factors and their association to serum androgen levels in a population-based cohort of 75-year-old men over 5 years: results of the VITA study. World J Urol. 2009 Jun 28.
50. Tagliaferro AR, Davis JR, Truchon S, Van Hamont N. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone acetate on metabolism, body weight and composition of male and female rats. J Nutr. 1986 Oct;116(10):1977-83.
51. Poczatkov H, Bogdanov K, Uherkov L, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone effects on the mRNA levels of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and their coactivators in human hepatoma HepG2 cells. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2007 Dec;26(4):268-74.
52. Karbowska J, Kochan Z. Effect of DHEA on endocrine functions of adipose tissue, the involvement of PPAR gamma. Biochem Pharmacol. 2005 Jul 15;70(2):249-57.
53. Smith KJ, Skelton HG. Peroxisomal proliferator-activated ligand therapy for HIV lipodystrophy. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2001 Mar;26(2):155-61.
54. Kochan Z, Karbowska J. Dehydroepiandrosterone up-regulates resistin gene expression in white adipose tissue. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004 Apr 15;218(1-2):57-64.
55. de Heredia FP, Cerezo D, Zamora S, Garaulet M. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone on protein and fat digestibility, body protein and muscular composition in high-fat-diet-fed old rats. Br J Nutr. 2007 Mar;97(3):464-70.
56. de Heredia FP, Larque E, Zamora S, Garaulet M. Dehydroepiandrosterone modifies rat fatty acid composition of serum and different adipose tissue depots and lowers serum insulin levels. J Endocrinol. 2009 Apr;201(1):67-74.
57. Yorek MA, Coppey LJ, Gellett JS, et al. Effect of treatment of diabetic rats with dehydroepiandrosterone on vascular and neural function. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Nov;283(5):E1067-1075.
58. Sato K, Iemitsu M, Aizawa K, Ajisaka R. DHEA improves impaired activation of Akt and PKC zeta/lambda-GLUT4 pathway in skeletal muscle and improves hyperglycaemia in streptozotocin-induced diabetes rats. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2009 Nov;197(3):217-25.
59. Brignardello E, Runzo C, Aragno M, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone administration counteracts oxidative imbalance and advanced glycation end product formation in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 2007 Nov;30(11):2922-7.
60. Ponikowska B, Jankowska EA, Maj J, et al. Gonadal and adrenal androgen deficiencies as independent predictors of increased cardiovascular mortality in men with type II diabetes mellitus and stable coronary artery disease. Int J Cardiol. 2009 Apr 21.
61. Cappola AR, OMeara ES, Guo W, Bartz TM, Fried LP, Newman AB. Trajectories of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate predict mortality in older adults: the cardiovascular health study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009 Dec;64(12):1268-74.
62. Srinivasan M, Irving BA, Dhatariya K, et al. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone replacement on lipoprotein profile in hypoadrenal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Mar;94(3):761-4.
63. Ii M, Hoshiga M, Negoro N, et al. Adrenal androgen dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate inhibits vascular remodeling following arterial injury. Atherosclerosis. 2009 Sep;206(1):77-85.
64. Aragno M, Meineri G, Vercellinatto I, et al. Cardiac impairment in rabbits fed a high-fat diet is counteracted by dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation. Life Sci. 2009 Jul 3;85(1-2):77-84.
65. Mitchell GF. Effects of central arterial aging on the structure and function of the peripheral vasculature: implications for end-organ damage. J Appl Physiol. 2008 Nov;105(5):1652-60.
66. Stomati M, Monteleone P, Casarosa E, et al. Six-month oral dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation in early and late postmenopause. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2000 Oct;14(5):342-63.
67. Brooke AM, Kalingag LA, Miraki-Moud F, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone improves psychological well-being in male and female hypopituitary patients on maintenance growth hormone replacement. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Oct;91(10):3773-9.
68. Nordmark G, Bengtsson C, Larsson A, Karlsson FA, Sturfelt G, Rnnblom L. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone supplement on health-related quality of life in glucocorticoid treated female patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmunity. 2005 Nov;38(7):531-40.
69. Hackbert L, Heiman JR. Acute dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) effects on sexual arousal in postmenopausal women. J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2002 Mar;11(2):155-62.
70. Lee SY, Myung SC, Lee MY, et al. The effects of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)/DHEA-sulfate (DHEAS) on the contraction responses of the clitoral cavernous smooth muscle from female rabbits. J Sex Med. 2009 Oct;6(10):2653-60.
71. Lee KS, Oh KY, Kim BC. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone on collagen and collagenase gene expression by skin fibroblasts in culture. J Dermatol Sci. 2000 Jun;23(2):103-10.
72. Calvo E, Luu-The V, Morissette J, et al. Pangenomic changes induced by DHEA in the skin of postmenopausal women. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008 Dec;112(4-5):186-93.
Order: DHEA Supplements
Enjoy the benefits of our flat rate shipping and handling! You receive the same great service for the same shipping price whether you order one item or one hundred!
USA only - US Post Office 5-9 business days.
Save 8.25% on all purchases - Texans and everyone!
It's all tax free! You will be able to review all charges before they are charged to you.
At checkout (after you click the Add button on any of the order pages), the billing address you enter must match the address where you receive your credit card (security effects). The shipping address you enter does not have to match.
All orders placed by Noon Central Standard Time (CST) are shipped the same day. PO Boxes Okay.
Payment by credit card is immediate. Payment by check adds a few more business days -- as soon as funds clear.
We do not sell the information you give us to anyone.
Nutrition Home Page
The information and statements made throughout this web site have not been endorsed/evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration or any other governmental authority, unless otherwise specifically noted. We do not offer products or services for the benefits or purpose of diagnosis, prescription for, treatment of, or claims to prevent, mitigate or cure any viral or disease condition or be free from side effects. Please, seek the advice of a competent medical professional about anything you read on our site.RSS Feed